MURRAYFIELD DAFS CC – Club history

Foundation & Merger(s)

The club was founded in 1909 as London Road Church CC however the first game was not played until a year later, the opponents being another Church team, Central Wesleyians. The club continued to be part of London Road Church until 1952 when differences of opinion over the playing of cricket on Sundays compelled them to sever their ecclesiastical ties and become simply London Road CC.

London Road CC joined the East of Scotland League in the early 1950’s, around about the same time as the breakaway from the church. After 30 years of sustaining the First XI, club growth enabled a 2nd XI to be formed in 1983 and a 3rd XI in 1989, the year of the club’s 80th Anniversary.

After a number of previous park venues, the club had settled at Roseburn Park and a decision was taken in 1992 to change the name of the club once again to Murrayfield CC in line with the surroundings. In 2001 it was decided to merge with DAFS (Department of Agriculture & Fisheries in the Scottish office) CC, a club who had themselves been struggling to survive in the East League. A further merger with Roseburn CC followed in 2007.

Recent History

Over the past 10 years, the club has continued to grow and now fields 4 teams within the East of Scotland Cricket Association Leagues. The club also established a junior cricket section in 2008, and over an entire XI worth of players have progressed through this setup and on to the senior setup.

The club has found success in recent years, particularly in the shorter format of the game and have won the Parks Trophy 3 times in the past 5 years. On the league front, the teams have all enjoyed success at one level or another over the past 10 years with several promotions (and unfortunate relegation).

The club has also maintained a strong social element, with players past and present invariably found watching games if they cannot play (or haven’t been roped into playing last minute!). There are often BBQ’s throughout the season to go along with the tradition of drinking in the Roseburn Bar after games (or after training, or if it rains, or if there is any kind of cricketing activity).

For further reading of the club’s history, click here.